Friday, October 12, 2012

Look to the stars.

So sorry, I'm not writing about movies. I lied. Oops. It was unintential, however, I find this to hopefully be interesting.

Right, so I was at my brothers house, which is 12 miles away from my own, and while I live in town, he lives in the "Boonies." While I might be pretty darn city boy, I do love it there. Its a natural type of beauty that can only be found here in Pennsylvania. Its truly amazing, not just during the day, but at night too.

Why you ask?

Well, at night there are thousands of more stars when the sky is clear, than there are in the town that I live in. Thousands, maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of more stars, lighting the sky like millions of tiny candles, far away. Its a truly spectacular view. Its so clear there that the Milky way Galaxy is visible  and stars and planets are visible to the naked eye. I was struck by this rather profoundly while driving home. Even a mere 4 miles from his house, the number of stars had decreased significantly, and the lights from the houses and buildings all across the town lit up the sky, obscuring so many of the beautiful balls of fiery gasses (burning at 3000-50000 Degrees Kelvin).  It made me sad, but also drew up a lovely contrast. The observatory at my college is called Davey Laboratories, and is located at the heart of campus, which is in the heart of the town in which I live. There, on a clear night, you can't see jack-shit, while with the naked eye at my brothers house you can see so much more. Even a simple telescope would bring great things to the eye piece for you. It was amazing. really.

But driving home, I dreamed something really interesting. I've always wanted to be a pilot, and while I'm not going to school for that, I do still plan in my future to find a way to learn how to fly aeroplanes. It occurred to me, while difficult to impossible my dream may be, I believe that it would beyond spectacular to fly, with a telescope and a clear fuselage (the outside bit that is smooth. It hold everything inside). Fly around at night, thousands of feet in the air, far away from the lights that would distort the view, and above the clouds, the view would be completely different, and even more stars could be seen than in the boonies even. I just thought that would be interesting, and I'd share my thoughts with you. You know, because its a blog ans stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts inspire me. Not many blogs can do that. Where I am, there are so many lights. The city burns. I used to go out and look up at the stars when I was little, and didn't live in the city. Now I want to again.

    ReplyDelete